Clinician Scientist Program – Goals and Objectives
Dr. Benjamin Goldstein
CanMEDS Learning Objectives:
- Demonstrates a sufficient understanding and a preliminary approach to one or more methods of data collection and analysis.
- Demonstrates a technical understanding of study design techniques and procedures relevant to their field.
- Displays an in-depth knowledge of background literature related to their area of study.
- Effectively poses research questions and develops hypotheses.
- Effectively synthesizes research results in a manuscript for publication.
- Participates in the dissemination of scholarly work, through poster presentations, publications and attendance at conferences.
Medical Expert: Knowledge and Clinical Skills
- Knowledge of the clinical manifestations, diagnostic procedures and management of the population/ disorder under investigation.
- Ability to counsel patients and families around the relevance and implications of their research.
- Listens effectively in research meetings.
- Ability to convey ideas and hypotheses to research collaborators.
- Written communication.
- Oral presentation.
- Ongoing communication with collaborators regarding next steps.
- Works effectively and collaboratively with other investigators.
- Seeks expert opinion where required.
- Works as part of an interdisciplinary team where required.
- Organizes a thesis advisory committee.
- Effectively manages balance of clinical and research responsibilities.
- Timely completion of course work and assignments.
- High level of attendance at required core seminars for clinical training.
- High level of attendance at graduate courses and seminars.
- Preparation of a thesis proposal, and timeline for completion of projects.
- Timely completion of applications for graduate training, and funding.
- Appropriate use of research funds and resources.
- Advocates effectively for the biopsychosocial needs for patients and their families within the healthcare system and their community.
- Advocates effectively for research support and time within the department of psychiatry.
- Advocates effectively for ongoing clinical training within the school of graduate studies.
- Demonstrates integrity, honesty, compassion and respect for patients and colleagues.
- Demonstrates responsibility, dependability, self-direction, and punctuality.
- Accepts and makes constructive use of supervision and feedback.
- Demonstrates the highest ethical standards in their work.
- Has an awareness and appropriate response to personal limitations.
- Accepts responsibility for attendance and participation in educational opportunities including core lectures, local seminars, etc.
PGY1 Clinician Scientist Stream Rotation Specific Objectives 2006-07.pdf (111.5 KB)