Guidelines for Junior Promotion from Lecturer to Assistant Professor
The Department of Psychiatry accepts applications for promotion to Assistant Professor from qualified candidates based on advanced education or sustained commitment to the academic mission. All faculty members intending to apply for promotion in 2018 are required to declare their intent to apply online by December 17, 2018. The submission deadline for complete packages is January 28, 2019.
Prior to initiating your request for promotion to the rank of Assistant Professor, you should meet with: (i) your Psychiatrist-in-Chief, and (ii) your University Division Director, to discuss your eligibility for promotion.
Please click here to declare your intent to apply.
Status-Only (non-MD) Faculty Members:
Status-Only faculty members requesting promotion do not follow the same procedure as Clinical (MD) faculty members. Status-Only faculty members should submit a new application at the new rank using the procedures outlined on the Faculty of Medicine’s Appointments Checklist.
Clinical (MD) Faculty Members:
- Categories for Promotion
- Candidates can be promoted to Assistant Professor under one of the following two categories:
- Advanced Degree: If the faculty member, who holds a lecturer appointment, completes a recognized graduate program (or advanced training deemed to be the equivalent of a Master’s program), he/she may be considered for promotion to the Assistant Professor. The program must have been completed as documented by successful defense of a thesis or awarding of the degree before submission of the request for promotion. It is expected that the candidate will have at least one or two published first author peer-reviewed publications at the time of request for promotion; or
- Sustained commitment to the academic mission: If the faculty member demonstrates a sustained commitment to teaching, research and/or creative professional activity over a period of time as a Lecturer (at least three (3) years), he/she may be considered for promotion to the Assistant Professor rank. An application based on teaching excellence and or creative professional development (CPA) should be supported by a teaching dossier and/or a CPA dossier as applicable.
- Candidate’s detailed letter of request for consideration for promotion addressed to Dr. Benoit H. Mulsant, Professor and Chair. The letter MUST state which CATEGORY the candidate should be evaluated under – please refer to 2(i) & 2(ii) above.
- Candidate’s letter of support from his/her hospital Psychiatrist- in-Chief.
- Candidate’s letter of support from his/her University Division Director.
- Two additional internal letters of support. Internal referees should be able to attest to the candidate’s achievement in education, research and/or creative professional activity.
- Candidate’s U of T Academic Job Description
- Candidate’s initial U of T Academic Appointment letter.
- Candidate’s updated Curriculum Vitae in WebCV format.
- A Teaching Dossier, including teaching scores and evaluations. Note that this is now a requirement for Junior Promotion applications, per the Operations Manual of the Faculty Appointments Advisory Committee (FAAC), updated August 2017. For information on components of a teaching dossier, please see Appendix B of the FAAC Manual.
- A CPA Dossier (*optional, if applicable only*)
- Note: Candidates who hold additional appointments in Departments other than Psychiatry should also submit a letter from the cross-appointing Chief, Chair or Dean in support of their promotion.
- Electronic Copy Submission – Instructions for uploading to Laserfiche
- All electronic documents are to be submitted via this link https://documents.med.utoronto.ca/WebForms/clinical
- Complete the information requested on the Application form that appears. For the Question – What type of University appointment are you applying for? SELECT – Promotion from Lecturer to Assistant Professor
- Attach all relevant required documents in the appropriate area for Uploading files. Please be sure to name your attachment(s) with the appropriate document name, prefaced by your last name, i.e., Smith_PIC_Letter_of_Support, Smith_Updated CV, etc.
- Submit the form – DEADLINE – January 28, 2019.
If there are any questions regarding procedures, documentation, or deadlines, please contact Rachel Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org.