Division of Forensic Psychiatry
The Division of Forensic Psychiatry includes psychiatrists, psychologists and lawyers. All members are active contributors to advocacy efforts in the Department.
The Division has three major bases:
- the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences
- the Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Sciences
Each centre has a major clinical program in forensic psychiatry and they provide high quality.
Research within the Forensic Psychiatry Division has three major teams:
- Professor Howard Barbaree as Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs at the Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care. Professor Barbaree has a long and successful history in risk related research.
- The Sexual Behaviors Clinic at CAMH.
- Associate Prof Sandy Simpson and Dr. Stephanie Penney at CAMH in relation to issues of mental illness, mental disorders and offending behaviour.
All groups have significant international and national links, holding CIHR and US research grants as well as institutional and provincial grants. The Forensics Division of the Department is often seen as the centre for forensic psychiatry in Canada, as well as for professional leadership, policy contributions, teaching, and research.
Teaching development has focused on the establishment of Canada’s first sub-specialty program in Forensic Psychiatry.
The Forensic Division faces an exciting future of clinical growth and development. The Division contributes to the Global Health program and new areas such as Child and Adolescent Forensic Psychiatry. The work of the Division has promoted Toronto as a major clinical and academic centre in forensic psychiatry.
For more information about the Forensics Division, please contact Division Director Dr. Graham Glancy.