Apply to the Fellowship Program
If your native language/ the language of instruction and patient care during your postgraduate studies is not English, you will be required to successfully complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examinations prior to applying. The TOEFL minimum acceptable score is an overall score of 93 with a minimum score of 24 on the Speaking section. The IELTS minimum acceptable score is an overall band 7.
Securing Fellowship Supervision
Prospective Fellows should contact potential supervisors at least one year prior to the start date to inquire about potential supervision, as securing supervision is a requirement of the application process:
- UofT Psychiatry faculty members with expertise in your area of interest can be contacted directly through the information listed on their profile page in the faculty directory to inquire about available fellowship opportunities.
- Fellowship opportunities are routinely posted on our website, under the 'Available Fellowship Opportunites' section.
- For more information on fellowship training opportunities and guidance on the application process, you may contact the Fellowship Director or the Psychiatry Fellowship Office.
Fellows must secure a minimum of $61,000 per annum in funding, either through governmental scholarships, sponsorship, or occasionally from the prospective supervisor’s funding.
Submitting an Application
Note: Potential applicants must have secured supervision and funding before initating an application for a clinical/research fellowship appointment with the department.
Fellows must register with the University of Toronto. This is arranged through the Fellowship office. In addition, Fellows must register at the teaching centre where they are to be based.
Start Date: the academic year starts on July 1. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, with the following deadlines:
- Applicants requiring a work permit: Due to processing times at immigration offices, Post Graduate Medical Education (PGME) and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO), complete application packages must be received by the Fellowship Office 6 – 8 months in advance of the training start date. For example, complete application paperwork must be received by January 1st for Fellowship training that is scheduled to begin on July 1st of the same year.
- Canadian citizens / Permanent Residents: Complete application packages must be received by the Fellowship Office 4 months in advance of the training start date. For example, complete application paperwork must be received by April 1st for Fellowship training that is scheduled to begin on July 1st of the same year.
To ensure eligibility for a medical license, contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. They will also assist you with inquiries about recognition of qualifications or training, if such were obtained outside of Canada, licensure requirements, work permits, and related matters.
Please contact the Fellowship Office for further information on the required application materials (email@example.com)
- The PGME Educational Objectives form should be filled and signed by the fellowship supervisor.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed! Please be sure to include all required supporting documents, and obtain all approval signatures, before submitting your application package to the Fellowship Office.
If you have any further questions about the Fellowship program, please contact the Fellowship Director or Fellowship Office:
Dr. Daniel Mueller
Department of Psychiatry
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
Fellowship Program Coordinator
Department of Psychiatry
832-250 College Street
Toronto, ON M5T 1R8