Apply to the Fellowship Program
Note: If you are considering applying to one of the Department of Psychiatry's Clinical or Research Fellowships, and you have also applied to the U.S. match through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP), please be advised that the University of Toronto is a participating institution and adheres to the match policy. The policy states that "Applicants who have matched to a program or have accepted a position during the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP), shall not apply for, discuss, interview for, or accept a concurrent year position in another program prior to the NRMP granting the requested waiver." More information is accessible on the NRMP Specialty Matching Services Match Participation Agreement.
Prospective Fellows should contact the Fellowship Office, the site and/or division directors at least one year prior to the July 1 annual start date.
- UofT Psychiatry faculty members with expertise in your area of interest can be contacted directly through the information listed on their profile page to inquire about available fellowship opportunities and possible interview sessions (https://www.psychiatry.utoronto.ca/faculty)
- Applicants requiring a work permit: Due to processing times at immigration offices, Post Graduate Medical Education (PGME) and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO), complete application packages must be received by the Fellowship Office 6 – 8 months in advance of the training start date. For example, complete application paperwork must be received by January 1st for Fellowship training that is scheduled to begin on July 1st of the same year.
- Canadian citizens / Permanent Residents: Complete application packages must be received by the Fellowship Office 4 months in advance of the training start date. For example, complete application paperwork must be received by April 1st for Fellowship training that is scheduled to begin on July 1st of the same year.
Start Date: July 1 annually
Please note that we will make exceptions, where appropriate, for those who cannot start their fellowship training on July 1 to start on January 1.
Registration requirements for fellows in the Department of Psychiatry:
- MD Fellows: are able to officially register through UofT Postgraduate Medical Studies (PGME) as clinical or research fellows respectively.
- PhD (non-MD) postdoctoral fellows: are able to register through the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) Postdoctoral Office provided their primary location of research is the U of T campus. PhD (non-MD) postdoctoral fellows receiving their stipend from U of T are also eligible (http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/postdoctoralfellows/Pages/Current-Postdocs.aspx).
- PhD (non-MD) postdoctoral fellows unable to register with the SGS Postdoctoral Office: are able to register at the individual UofT affiliated teaching site (e.g. hospital) provided they meet their institutional requirements.
- PhD (non-MD) postdoctoral fellows not registered with the SGS Postdoctoral Office: may not receive a UofT completion certificate, but may be able to receive a certificate from the affiliated teaching site or hospital if applicable.
- PhD (non-MD) postdoctoral fellows not registered with the SGS Postdoctoral Office: can avail UofT library and University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) access if required: http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/postdoctoralfellows/Pages/Teaching-Hospital-Postdocs.aspx
The Department of Psychiatry is able to offer PhD (non-MD) postdoctoral fellows under the supervision of Psychiatry faculty members the opportunity to participate in all fellowship activities including the educational seminar series, graduation and other events as guests.
Please contact the Fellowship Office for further information on the required application materials (email@example.com)
- The PGME Educational Objectives form should be filled and signed by the fellowship supervisor.
- The UofT Visa processing form is for applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed! Please be sure to include all required supporting documents, and obtain all approval signatures, before submitting your application package to the Fellowship Office.
For international candidates, please be aware that due to processing times at immigration offices, Post Graduate Medical Education, and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO), you must submit a complete application 6 – 8 months in advance of your desired start date.
- For details about Fellowship opportunities in our Department, or to discuss special areas of interest or career plans, contact the Fellowship Director. Potential applicants should have an informal discussion with a potential supervisor before making an application. Please note that there may be separate contacts for clinical as opposed to research Fellowships.
- To ensure eligibility for a medical license, contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. They will also assist you with inquiries about recognition of qualifications or training, if such were obtained outside of Canada, licensure requirements, work permits, and related matters.
- Fellows must register with the University of Toronto. This is arranged through the Fellowship office. In addition, Fellows must register at the teaching centre where they are to be based.
- If your native language is not English and the language of instruction during your postgraduate studies was not in English, you will be required to successfully complete the “Test of English as a Foreign Language” (TOEFL) and the English Language proficiency test “Test of Spoken English” (TSE) prior to commencing your Fellowship training. (For additional information on these tests please visit the following websites:www.toefl.org and www.ets.org)
If you have any further questions about the Fellowship program, please contact the Fellowship Director or Fellowship Office:
Dr. Arun Ravindran
Department of Psychiatry
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
Fellowship Program Coordinator
Department of Psychiatry
832-250 College Street
Toronto, ON M5T 1R8
Please address email to: