Clinical Academic Appointments (MD)
- Clinical Faculty: An individual or individuals, licensed to practice medicine in Ontario and holding a Medical-Dental staff appointment on the Active Staff (or equivalent) of a fully-affiliated teaching hospital or community teaching hospital, or an affiliated community practice or, less often, working in a community clinic, industry or in private practice, and appointed as clinical faculty in a Faculty of Medicine clinical department.
- Academic Activities: Research, creative professional activity as defined in University policy, teaching (including provisions of clinical care that may involve supervision of students, residents, or other clinical trainees, academic administration or work that is deemed by the Faculty of Medicine to be directly in support of University academic work by other clinical faculty.
Academic Appointment Categories (Clinical Faculty) – Full Time, Part Time, Adjunct:
The clinical academic faculty appointment group is based on the time engaged in Department of Psychiatry academic activities.
- Full-time appointment is given to clinical candidates who spend 80-100% of their time involved in university activities and who are members of a conforming practice plan.
- Part-time appointment is given to clinical candidate who spend 20-79% of their time involved in the academic mission.
- Adjunct appointment is given to clinical candidates who spend 19% or less of their time involved in the University academic mission.
Ranks (Clinical Faculty)
- Lecturer - The usual entry level rank for faculty.
- Assistant Professor - Initial appointment at this rank requires the candidate to have a Masters level degree, after having already completed a MD. Faculty members may be promoted to Assistant Professor after five years at Lecturer.
- Associate Professor - Initial appointment at this rank requires the candidate to have academic productivity and / or local or regional distinction. Faculty members may be promoted to Associate Professor after five years at Assistant Professor.
- Professor - Initial appointment at this rank requires the candidate to have national/international levels of academic distinction and/or extreme productivity.
Academic Position Description Categories
The categories, criteria, and conditions of appointments, shall be based on academic position descriptions. All submitted applications MUST use the Department of Psychiatry templates below: