The Toronto Dementia Research Alliance
Established by the Toronto Academic Health Science Network, the Toronto Dementia Research Alliance (TDRA) is an academic coalition between the five memory/dementia clinics affiliated with U of T:
- St. Michael’s Hospital
- Sunnybrook Hospital
- The Faculty of Medicine at U of T
The TDRA has fostered increased collaboration within these clinics, which has resulted in considerable increases in external funding to Division investigators.
The thematic highlights of Division collaborative projects include:
- cognitive impairment in late life bipolar disorder, depression, and schizophrenia
- depression and coronary artery disease, genetic and therapeutic studies in traumatic brain damage
- imaging of brain inflammation as well as dopamine, serotonin and muscarinic receptors in a variety of late-life conditions and amyloid deposition in Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia
- pharmacotherapy of dementia and related psychiatric symptoms
- psychotic depression
- the relation between affective disorders and balance and mobility
- neuroplasticity studies across the lifespan using brain stimulation techniques.
The Division is also undertaking a five year project funded by Brain Canada to conduct a randomized controlled trial to prevent Alzheimer’s dementia in older patients with depression or mild cognitive impairment. The project will be led by CAMH and includes all other four TDRA sites.